Thursday, March 24, 2011

New paintings

There are two new paintings on my easel at the moment. The first one, titled Dragon Race, is a private commission. This will be a part of a book project. There are  some other outstanding artists that participate with their work in this exciting project, such as Boris Vallejo, Donato Giancola, Jullie Bell, Scott Gustafson,  Steven Hickman, Bob Eggleton among a few other excellent illustrators. Below you can see the preliminary rough from the sketchbook, and the final preliminary drawing.



The other painting that I am about to start with, is titled The Rescuer and it is commissioned by the organizers of the  Illuxcon show. Being one of three special guests during the upcoming Illuxcon 4 show, I am obliged to do a painting that will be used in the Illuxcon promotional material. I have been wrestling for a while with this one, until I found a satisfactory compositional solution to the idea I wanted to depict.  Below you can find some preliminary sketches and the final detailed preliminary drawing. The finished painting will be exhibited at Illuxcon 4 this year in Altoona.





Well, I should not cheer too early, for I still have to paint it, and you never know how the painting will develop itself. At the certain moment it becomes a kind of independent entity that one has to listen to and obey its wishes and demands. I am as curious  about the results just as you are, I guess…However, I hope to be able to overcome all the hurdles and temptations and bring this composition to the satisfactory end.
I have to admit that I am too often obsessed with the final results – always latently afraid that the painting will not please me when it’s finished. That it will cause me sleepless nights and make me believe that I finally forgot how to paint…Silly thoughts, of course.
I often wonder where this fear comes from. Perhaps it comes out of my perfectionism…? Or the lack of self-confidence is the source of that fear…? Or perhaps it comes from the competitive attitude…? Or would it be that the mysterious need of the human being to improve himself is the reason. The need  to rise above the boundaries of one’s own abilities and limitations – in order to become something special, the best possible “edition” of oneself, something really worth living for… Frankly, I do not know…

11 comments:

  1. Love both the compositions, just so much detail and movement. My first reaction was despair, then was greatly inspired to do a few pages of dragon drawings. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Petar, I would so love to spend a month in your studio watching you work. You are so inspiring. This new piece is awesome as a drawing, can't wait to see the paint(Your Illuxcon showcase neighbor, Mark).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work as always. I was wondering if you paint different pictures in parallel, or you focus on one painting until it's done and then move on to the next one. Maybe something for a future blog post. I think this nervous feeling you speak of comes from your commitment to produce the best work you can. The next masterpiece. When one puts his heart and soul into something, isn't it normal to feel nervous about the outcome? For the result is a reflection of himself. I think this drive to produce something amazing, despite yesterday's success is what separates great people from the rest. This is all very inspiring. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the drawings are any indication of the quality of the final paintings we are all in for a real treat! Seeing your work at Illuxcon was, and will be a privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!
    One more inspiring artist who struggles with fear while painting! After reading about this same problem from countless other artists, whom I admire, I still find myself amazed to learn of one more who struggles with this.
    Thanks goodness for the internet. I struggle as well while painting. Learning of others, especially from such great ones as yourself, encourages me that I'm not alone.
    Wishing you very, very much success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, but that fear is so exciting. Good fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris – I hope you have already filled a couple of new pages in your sketchbook with some great dragon drawings…Thanks!

    Hi Mark – I am afraid it would be rather boring to watch me working in my studio. Most of the day I am just trying to put the right color on the right place… In fact there is nothing special or spectacular in my working process, not that I am aware of…Thank you, Mark!

    Lefteris – Nicely spoken - I think I definitely agree with you… Thanks! By the way, I usually work on one piece at the time, but switching to another one after two or three weeks, regardless of whether the painting is finished or not.

    Brian – I hope you are right about the connection between this particular drawing and the final painting. Anyway, I will do my best not to disappoint you...Thank you!

    Nasan – According to some scientists, fear is the first emotion a human being experiences when coming into this world. When we draw our first breath, the fear comes in…I haven’t heard yet about life without fear. Placed within that context, the fear of painting is quite insignificant phenomenon, one of many fears in one’s life…So, even when it looks like the “masters” perform their art effortlessly and without fear, you should know that it is an illusion…Thank you, Nasan, for your honest reaction!

    Hi Bill – Well, everything has a good side – even fear. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, inspiring post and amazing arwork! I thought of this snippet as I was reading.

    Our Deepest Fear
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
    gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

    Actually, who are you not to be?
    You are a child of God.

    Your playing small does not serve the world.
    There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
    so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
    We are all meant to shine, as children do.

    We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
    It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

    And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give
    other people permission to do the same.
    As we are liberated from our fear,
    our presence automatically liberates others.

    (source: http://www.squidoo.com/our_deepest_fear)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ezra – This is very inspiring, very thought provoking! Although, I am not able to connect my fears to the reasons suggested in the poem. It all sound very nice and positive, which is a tendency these days when it comes to spiritual and quasi-spiritual topics …Anyway, thank you very much for your extraordinary comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Petar.....WOW! I'm really in love with the first sketch on the second painting. I like the tighter crop on it.....so powerful. The bottom sketch is nice, and I like seeing that horn dug into the dirt. It's just my opinion, but for me the naked woman in the background competes too much for attention with the warrior and takes from such a great and original pose of him burring that spear up into the dragon's mouth.

    As always though phenomenal work, and thanks for sharing your process, sketches and paintings. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jared – The tighter composition of the first sketch was initially my first choice. But, I was afraid that it would be too “experimental” for this particular commission, so I decided to give it more space. One of the good sides of this choice is that horn dug into the dirt. As for the woman, you are right, she is a bit too dominant at the moment. But do not worry, as soon as I start painting all the compositional elements will get the required amount of attention. Not more and not less than it’s necessary.
    Thank you, Jared, for your sharp minded observation.

    ReplyDelete